We know how to deal with medically complex kids and we’re also there during a crisis. Whether it’s a tooth knocked out during a football game or cheerleading competition, or you need an immediate extraction, we offer 24/7 emergency dental services because we believe that no child should ever have to wait during a dental emergency. Never fear, because we always have an emergency dentist nearby!
When you come to our practice, know that we have an Uncompromising Promise to Deliver the latest in dental treatments and technologies all in our state-of-the art, kid-friendly facilities.
Make an appointment today!
- Preventative care (examinations, cleanings and sealants)
- Restorative care (fillings for cavities in teeth and stainless-steel crowns)
- Special needs care (also known as our Comprehensive Oral Health for the Disabled Youth, or COHDY Program)
- In-patient surgery
- Out-patient surgery (through our partnership with Women and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo – nitrous oxide, sedation and general anesthesia available)
- Unique programs and initiatives (including Gateway to a Dental Home, Reach Out and Early Childhood Caries)
- 24/7 emergency dental services
- Evening and weekend hours
- Digital x-ray tied to an electronic dental record
- Hospital-quality sterilization
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Conscious sedation
- Dental education including proper oral hygiene
University Pediatric Dentistry provides sedation dentistry in the safest environment possible with a team of pediatric anesthesiologists and trained specialists that know exactly how to administer the medications. However, sedation dentistry is not for everyone. We use sedation dentistry for those kids that are beyond the normal fears and anxieties associated with dentistry, and would prevent them from receiving the appropriate dental care that they need and deserve. It is also used quite often used in special needs dentistry like our COHDY Program.
Special Needs Dentistry (COHDY Program)
The Comprehensive Oral Health for Disabled Youth (COHDY Program) is a specialized health care program that was designed to meet the dental needs of children with Developmental Disabilities (DD).
Our COHDY Program Goal…
We will deliver the best oral and dental health care in a gentle, supportive, caring and respectful environment. Our COHDY team takes each child’s special needs into consideration in order to create a customized treatment plan.
This treatment plan includes:
- A holistic approach to care that revolves around the needs of the patient and family, involving all of the doctors, nurses and caregivers that are a part of your child’s health care team.
- Application of gentle dentistry techniques in order to calm the anxious child.
- Preventive care and education for the child, parent and caregivers that includes help with diet, counseling and oral hygiene instruction.
- State-of-the-art treatment and materials to help each child achieve excellent oral health.
- A COHDY Coordinator to help align appointments and health needs in order to optimize your child’s care. To speak with our coordinator, please call (716) 688-7712.
- Appointments scheduled at frequent intervals in order to help your child develop a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff and facilities.